Saturday, June 13, 2015

Kyphi (Kpt) Incense

Kyphi was an incense made in Ancient Egypt that was documented by the Greeks. We actually don't know the name they really used for the incense the Greeks wrote down since Kyphi or Kpt is actually a general term for incense itself. This recipe was used in the Temples and could very from temple to temple, from my opinion, based upon which God or Gods that were worshipped or based upon what ingredient would be able to be obtained or even what each temple could afford. This recipe is fairly expensive for today's standards for a individual recipe, let alone in Ancient Egypt at the time it was made. Premade Kyphi sells for about $26 an oz. The Greeks version of this recipe was written based upon the incense in the Temple of Ra, but even so there are a few versions out there. These recipes and more history on Kyphi or Kpt can be found by google search, therefore I am not going to list all of them here.

When I first heard of this incense it was introduced to me by a friend as project, and indeed it is a project, that she wanted to try. She found the recipe on youtube from a youtuber named  MIRTHandREVERENCE who I fell in love with. Not because we have similar styles in practicing our spiritual paths, what drew me to her was something far greater than finding someone that practices the same way you do, it was her positive energy, thoughtfulness and her outlook on life and situations. She made a series of what she does to make Kpt. Walking you through what her process is in making the wet and dry ingredients. Kpt is much more than throwing herbs in a mortar and pestle and having it smell good or even what the ingredients bring. The process is a meditation. Taking your time with each ingredient working with the texture the smell the energy on a individual level and building a bond with what you are making. Now, there are traditional recipes who knows if when compiling the recipe the Greeks missed one or two. Or the Egyptian priest did not give them certain ingredients.

Most ingredients I find in recipes I have my own opinions on. Mostly the commonly used herbs. Since I have a bad reaction to both lavender and sage especially I have had to find substitutes and in doing that I have taken to going by feel of herbs instead of always referring to encyclopedias or guides (for correspondences and meanings). If its a herb or flower etc. that I don't use often of course I check for poison factors, parts used etc. So this was an opportunity for me. I had not worked with many of these herbs before but also I don't know why but I had never really sat down and meditated while using my mortar and pestle to grind up 1 herb at a time. WHY? Not a clue. What a wonderful idea. To interact and to see the true nature of that 1 herb and just see what happens.

This incense takes weeks, warning, it is a TIME project but it is so worth the time if it is something you want to do. It smells wonderful and is a beautiful process. I am currently on day 7 but I will right I will catch you up and I have got pictures!




No comments:

Post a Comment