Monday, November 21, 2011

Reading Between the Lines of Mythology: Greek

Lets talk about the Greeks mythology... there are so many versions of the same stories its hard to tell what way is up... I have read many authors from the classics of Hesiod and Ovid to Edith Hamilton and the details seem to get screwed in many different directions and a lot is left to the readers but on the other hand there are certain parts and details that ALWAYS stay the same... I have read and taken great interest in the Greek myths for a number of reasons...
The stories are so memorable for one the names have lived on for so long and most know at least the basic outline of the Greek myths....
The characters in the myths themselves are so dynamic and easy to relate to no matter if you agree with their actions or not..

I want to do a series on Gods and Goddesses first on the Greeks I am mostly going to be focusing on the Gods themselves but also throw in some of my favorite myths and see where it goes... I have to give a little warning however, I will be giving the facts that the myths provide but also my opinions and interpretation of many ideas and details in the myths... basically reading between the lines.

I will try and keep most of these in Chronological order... and most of my interpretations are going to come from the works of Hesiod and Ovid plus what I have learned through class and my own research

I must give a warning however to those of you who read these Greek Mythology posts if you are uncomfortable or offended by concepts such as violence, incest, sex, rape, body parts getting cut off, gore, homosexuality etc. I do not suggest that you read these posts due to the fact that these concepts frequently come up in Greek Mythology.

No comments:

Post a Comment