Sunday, November 27, 2011

Tools of the Magickal Trade: Wands, Chalice, Bell, Pentacle and Censer

Okay so I am going to power throw the last 5 of the tools...

First is wands is connected to the element of Air and the Gods. There are a lot of particulars that authors talk about when it comes to how you find your wand to the wand length but I again think its up to the person using it... I never could find a wooden wand that felt right so I use small stone wands instead. I'm sure if the right one comes around I will get a wooden wand but this is a tool I really struggle with personally. Even though I was given a beautiful wand made out of a rose bush. The wand can be used to draw symbols in the ground, draw power in and create circles even mix your cauldron. Again I don't do this personally but are things you can do.

Chalice: I waited a long time to buy a really nice hand made one but before that I just used a wine glass... A chalice can be made of almost any substance just make sure that it is not toxic and safe to drink out of... and keep it separate from other regular glassware. A symbol of the goddess and fertility and connected to the element of Water.

Bell: It doesn't have to be a bell... the idea is the sound... many use a drum for example. The bell rings send out vibrations that are often sounded that ward off evil or negativity and signal certain sections of a ritual. It is another symbol of female aspects.

Pentacle: Obviously the symbol of all the Elements but also of Earth because most Altar Pentacles are made of stone, wood, or metal.

Last is the Censer: Obviously connected with Fire. A censer is a fire safe container that you burn incense in... it can be filled with either sand or salt that disperses the heat. The incense can be in many forms cones, sticks, or loose raw. Make sure when you burn things that you check if the item your burning might be poisonous.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a wand girl.I have the same trouble with the athame and boline that you have with wands. I'm still trying to get over the habit of using antique scissors instead of a boline. You're so right...you have to go with what feels natural.

    ReplyDelete